Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Shopping Cart

When I left to shop today
I promised myself to behave
I won’t make any bad buy
No matter how much I crave

I will stick to my shopping list
And pick whatever I need
For safe not sorry is the way
And there is no end to greed

I picked the apples, juicy and red
I picked my usual medium bread
My carton of milk, I picked without fail
And found my favorite cookies on sale

My cart was soon filled to the top
And it was time to go
I kept my sight fixed on the cart
For I feared it might rove

But it sneaked past my untrained mind;
and settled on this juice
White grapefruit seemed fresh and healthy
What had I got to loose?

I checked the price;
It was a little high
But this was good;
And surely worth a try

I paid my bill and rushed back home;
dying to taste the drink
I was sure it was a great buy;
and verve and vitality it would bring

The moment I had the first sip;
of one thing I was sure
This definitely wasn’t my taste;
but now there was no cure!

Yet another bad buy
And my head hung down in shame
That’s when I heard this mighty voice;
“No worries, It’s all a part of the game

The one who takes the greatest risk,
Stands to gain the most
A few bad buys followed by one best
Puts rest to all the ghosts

So keep filling your shopping cart;
With what you think you want
For if you let even a thing slip by;
It will be back to haunt

There is no such thing as a bad buy
And everything has some use
Experience always comes at a price
So not a dime did you loose!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww this is so wow.... you made my day... you are inspired girl and its so great to see u back writing...i still have your poem from the school...keep writing..theres all to gain :) nidhi

Unknown said...

hehehe! I can see you r trying to justify consumerism with a sweet rhyming poem! ahaa! I really like the rhymes! But this is brilliant, captures imagination! I pictured myself in a shop as i read your poem, hehe!